Welcome to Hanwell.org.uk

 

Home
Events
Major developments
Hanwell Community Forum
Residents Associations
Street Bank
FixMyStreet
Hanwell history
>St Mellitus Church
>Hanwell History Society
>The Grand Union canal
>Hanwell Library
>Hanwell Carnival
>Cottage Hospital
>Elthorne Park
>Hanwell bus garage
>The Hermitage
>Cuckoo School
>Violin factory
>The railways in Hanwell
>Changes in Hanwell
>Hanwell's Gospel Oak
>Beating the Bounds
>King Georges Field
>Three Bridges
>Hanwell asylum
>Hanwell Community
>Ambulance station
>Sisters memorial
>Local Heritage
>Hobbayne trust
Local information
Neighbourhood Watch
Other information
Local business
Political

Site Map

Search for:

Logon

Grade II listed St Mellitus Church and heritage railings




St Mellitus Church was designed by the office of Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1909, built by Messrs J Dorey & Co of Brentford, and consecrated by the Bishop of London, Rt Rev Arthur Winnington-Ingram in March 1910. St Mellitus, who died 24 April 624, was the first Bishop of London in the Saxon period, and the third Archbishop of Canterbury. This was the first Church dedicated to St Mellitus in the Anglican Communion. It was first listed as a national monument for its architectural or historic interest in August 2002.