Welcome to Hanwell.org.uk

 

Home
Events
Major developments
Hanwell Community Forum
Residents Associations
Street Bank
FixMyStreet
Hanwell history
>St Mellitus Church
>Hanwell History Society
>The Grand Union canal
>Hanwell Library
>Hanwell Carnival
>Cottage Hospital
>Elthorne Park
>Hanwell bus garage
>The Hermitage
>Cuckoo School
>Violin factory
>The railways in Hanwell
>Changes in Hanwell
>Hanwell's Gospel Oak
>Beating the Bounds
>King Georges Field
>Three Bridges
>Hanwell asylum
>Hanwell Community
>Ambulance station
>Sisters memorial
>Local Heritage
>Hobbayne trust
Local information
Neighbourhood Watch
Other information
Local business
Political

Site Map

Search for:

Logon

The Hobbayne trust charity

"In 1484 William Hobbayne surrendered his lands to 'godly uses'; the proceeds from this gift were used for many different and sometimes unusual purposes (such as the conveying away of witches in 1634) but in 1683 a decree of the Commissioners of Charitable Uses ordered that the residue was to be used for apprenticing and otherwise providing for poor children of the town. Thenceforth the charity became a means of providing schooling for such children, until at the beginning of the 20th century the last school aided by this charity was taken over by the Hanwell School Board.

From: 'The Education of the Working Classes to 1870' A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 1: Physique, Archaeology, Domesday, Ecclesiastical Organization, The Jews, Religious Houses, Education of Working Classes to 1870, Private Education from Sixteenth Century (1969), pp. 213-240.

See also: British History OnLine - Hobbayne