Hanwell Community Forum
>St Mellitus Church
>Hanwell History Society
>The Grand Union canal
>Hanwell bus garage
>The railways in Hanwell
>Changes in Hanwell
>Hanwell's Gospel Oak
>Beating the Bounds
>King Georges Field
The garden at the front of the ambulance station on Boston Road has for many years, won awards for the best kept garden prize in the London Ambulance service. It serves also as a memorial garden dedicated to ambulanceman Bill Dunn, who died in 1983.
Before 1948, ambulance transport was provided by St. John Ambulance Association, British Red Cross and Womens Volunteer Services.
With the formation of the National Health Service in 1948, it was the responsibility of all councils to provide an ambulance service. Until ambulance stations were built, it was the usual practice to house ambulances in fire stations and in hospital grounds. The present ambulance station at Greenford is an old fire station. Here depicted, is a Middlesex ambulance in the early 1950s at Ealing Fire Station.
Hanwell station was built in 1956 by the Middlesex Ambulance Service, which merged in 1965 into the London Ambulance Service. It was built in the same style as the other Middlesex ambulance stations such as, Friern Barnet, Chase Farm, Edmonton, Pinner, Park Royal, Hillingdon, Isleworth and Ashford. Since the changing of the Middlesex boundaries, Ashford is now run by the Surrey Ambulance Service.
In those eary years, the ambulances were only equipped with ex War Department stretchers, very basic first aid kits and did not have two way radios to communicate with their control centre. The vehicle shown is a Morris Commercial used extensively with the early Middlesex Ambulance Service. (Picture by kind permission of Roger Leonard of the British Ambulance Society)
At present, the station deals with up to 100 emergency calls a day serving the people of Hanwell, Ealing, Southall and parts of Acton, Brentford, Isleworth and Heston. Hanwell Ambulance station also administers it's two satellite stations, Greenford and Chiswick.
There are 61 fully qualified technicians and paramedics at the station, supported by 2 admin staff, 5
team leaders, an assistant station officer and a station officer. (All team leaders, A.S.O. and S.O. are State Registered Paramedics). Added to the building is the West Sector H. Q. which, has a Commander with office staff responsible for all the ambulance stations from Fulham to Hillingdon.
During the working day, there can be up to 6 front line ambulances and 2 fast response cars running from this very busy station.
Here, you can see that even our Station Officer responds to emergency calls.
Barry Cole, May 2003