Olde Hanwell

Residents Association

 

Home
Events
Major developments
Hanwell Community Forum
Residents Associations
Street Bank
FixMyStreet
Hanwell history
>St Mellitus Church
>Hanwell History Society
>The Grand Union canal
>Hanwell Library
>Hanwell Carnival
>Cottage Hospital
>Elthorne Park
>Hanwell bus garage
>The Hermitage
>Cuckoo School
>Violin factory
>The railways in Hanwell
>Changes in Hanwell
>>H. Carter's shop
>Hanwell's Gospel Oak
>Beating the Bounds
>King Georges Field
>Three Bridges
>Hanwell asylum
>Hanwell Community
>Ambulance station
>Sisters memorial
>Local Heritage
>Hobbayne trust
Local information
Neighbourhood Watch
Other information
Local business
Political

Site Map

Search for:

Logon

Changes in Hanwell from the 18th century.

The world around us is in constant turmoil from change, which can cause us to over-look the changes taking place closer to home, in our own neighbourhood. This brief sketch is about some changes which have taken place since the 18th Century to the present day.

St. Marks Church built in 1879 was closed in 1980, and converted into the flats of St. Marks Court.

The Methodist Church built in 1894, also on Lower Boston Road, changed ownership in 1904 when the Methodists moved to Church Road.

The Salvation Army came to Hanwell in 1891, and was located at the corner of Station Road and Uxbridge Road. In 1894 they moved to the Boston Road, somewhere near the present Ambulance Station. From 1904 they occupied the old Methodist Church premises until 2000.
Last year the Salvation Army sold these premises, which are now the William Hobbayne Centre and the base for Age Concern. This leaves us with the Baptist Church at the corner of Humes Avenue.

The Hanwell Cottage Hospital built in 1900 in Green Lane, closed in 1978 and was replaced with the 24 flats of Mount Olive Court. A small clinic also in Green Lane, has been replaced with houses.

St. Marks School on the corner of Green Lane and the Lower Boston road opened in 1855. Alterations and extensions have been carried out at various dates, the most recent of which was 2001.

Billets Hart, an area of some 50 flats and houses, stands on the site of an old dye works which stood there from 1896.

Careful scrutiny can detect a significant number of corner shops, which existed along Bostonthorpe Road, St. Margarets Road and Churchfield Road. A "fish and chip shop and launderette" existed at the top of Studley Grange Road. Number 30 Osterley Park Road was a "dyers and cleaners".

So much has changed, that this is a very incomplete picture, you may know of other changes which can be included in later Newsletters.
The Search still continues to find and develop any of the small open spaces which still remain in the area.

It is important that we the present residents take note of future proposals, as they invariably reduce the space between existing houses, increase the population density and bring more cars to our roads.
In the end we may allow development to irreparably damage the character of Olde Hanwell as we know and enjoy it today, hence we need to be very alert to changes proposed in the future.

Derek Smith. March 2002.

Hillyard Road

George Whiteside Hillyard was born in Hanwell in 1864. He was a county cricketer, an international tennis player and Olympics Doubles champion, and Secretary of The All England Club, Wimbledon. He served with the future King Edward VII at sea, and went on to live in Leicestershire with his wife and six times Wimbledon champion, Blanche. George Wright Hillyard is the father of George Whiteside. George Wright Hillyard was Head of the Central London District School in 1881 and afterwards. I assume that Hillyard Road, which is on the site of what were the grounds of the old school, was named after George Wright Hillyard.

Bruce Tarran, Nov 2010.