Welcome to Hanwell.org.uk

 

Home
Events
Major developments
Hanwell Community Forum
Residents Associations
Street Bank
FixMyStreet
Hanwell history
>St Mellitus Church
>Hanwell History Society
>The Grand Union canal
>Hanwell Library
>Hanwell Carnival
>Cottage Hospital
>Elthorne Park
>Hanwell bus garage
>The Hermitage
>Cuckoo School
>Violin factory
>The railways in Hanwell
>Changes in Hanwell
>Hanwell's Gospel Oak
>Beating the Bounds
>King Georges Field
>Three Bridges
>Hanwell asylum
>Hanwell Community
>Ambulance station
>Sisters memorial
>Local Heritage
>Hobbayne trust
Local information
Neighbourhood Watch
Other information
Local business
Political

Site Map

Search for:

Logon

Historic information about Hanwell

Hanwell's name is thought to have come from the words hana, meaning a cockerel, and weille, meaning a stream. Hanwell was an ancient village, dating back to the 5th and 6th centuries.
Hanwell is mentioned in the Domesday Book as consisting of farmland and meadowland. There was also a mill. Most of the villagers were peasants or ‘villains’, working on the land, but there were three craftsmen and two slaves as well. The total number of people was about 100.
The parish church, St Mary's, was a small brick building, but was rebuilt twice and the present church dates from 1842. Among those buried in the churchyard is Jonas Hanway, who died in 1786. He was a well-known traveller, writer and helped found various charities, but is best known for promoting the use of the umbrella.
In 1484, William Hobbayne gave lands in Hanwell to help the local poor and a charity school was eventually set up to teach children in 1781. Other early schools were the Hanwell Academy, a private boarding school, founded in 1832, and the Central London District School (also known as the Cuckoo School) for poor children from central London. It was founded in 1856. Its most famous pupil was Charlie Chaplin, and it is now Hanwell Community Centre.
Part of the Great Western Railway ran through Hanwell and the Wharncliffe Viaduct, built by Brunel to carry the railway over the Brent Valley.
When, in 1901, trams ran from London to Southall, via Hanwell, they helped create a demand for housing for the working and lower middle classes. This boosted population growth, which had previously been slow. In 1801, there were 817 residents. By 1921, there were 20,485 residents.

(Plagiarised from Around Ealing March 2010).

Hanwell is steeped in History and there are many residents who enjoy delving into past times.

We are fortunate to have a number of contributors who have submitted some very interesting articles.

If you would like to contribute then please email.

Further historic information can be found at the following sites:

(links provided by Barry Cole of The Hanwell Lodge No. 4676).

The following books provide a fantastic view into the past: