Olde Hanwell

Residents Association

 

Home
Events
Major developments
Hanwell Community Forum
Residents Associations
Street Bank
FixMyStreet
Hanwell history
>St Mellitus Church
>Hanwell History Society
>The Grand Union canal
>Hanwell Library
>Hanwell Carnival
>Cottage Hospital
>Elthorne Park
>Hanwell bus garage
>The Hermitage
>Cuckoo School
>Violin factory
>The railways in Hanwell
>Changes in Hanwell
>Hanwell's Gospel Oak
>Beating the Bounds
>King Georges Field
>Three Bridges
>Hanwell asylum
>Hanwell Community
>Ambulance station
>Sisters memorial
>Local Heritage
>Hobbayne trust
Local information
Neighbourhood Watch
Other information
Local business
Political

Site Map

Search for:

Logon

King Georges Field

This rectangular piece of land was part of Hanwell Heath which was set aside for the benefit of the poor (POOR`s  PIECE) and administered by local church trustees. Rents paid by allotment holders were used for charitable purposes.

In 1901 the Hanwell Urban District Council wondered about building a senior school on the site but decided on Springfield Road instead!

In the 1930`s the Ealing Council considered acquiring the site for much needed play facilities, possibly with a grant from a fund set up in November 1936 in memory of the late King George V. However, it was not until 20th June 1940 that they bought this site from the Trustees for 1,000 and covenanted to user the land as an Open Space and name it King George`s Field.

During the War I understand that an air raid precautions hut was built and regularly manned at the St. Mark`s/Bostonthorpe corner where the children`s play equipment now stands, and the allotment holders continued to "Dig for Victory".

With help from the King George Fields Foundation, the land was laid out as playing field and opened to the public in May 1951.

It seems that the site remained under the auspices of the National Memorial Fund who used the administrative expertise of the National Playing Fields Association.  In 1965 the Charity Commissioners made the National Playing Fields Association the Trustees of the Charity and widened its original objectives to include preservation in addition to the establishment of King George Fields.

Ealing Council has recently learnt that, under S.3(2) of the Charities Act 1993, this field should be registered as an individual charity, and are in the process of doing this.  This should mean additional legal protection and ensure its continued use as public open space.

31st May 2001. Myrtle G. Gee